Thursday, November 29, 2012

This Bibliophile Loves Books and Book Lists

I am an avid reader. One can find stacks of books all around my house, my office and even in my vehicle (in case I have to stand in line somewhere and need something to read). Every year we add a few more book shelves or cases or places to store more books. My iPad is full of eBooks, and my dear husband encourages me to buy more eBooks so that he doesn't have to build any more shelves... When I visit the library, I bring home a bag of books. I often have several books going at the same time.

I write a few book reviews a year [Think to Learn, Play to Learn, The Kids Cannot Wait], and I enjoy reading book reviews.  I really enjoy browsing through annual book lists, like this recent one, "100 Notable Books of 2012" published in the New York Times. This particular list of notable fiction, poetry and nonfiction has been compiled by the editors of the New York Times Book Review - people who love books.  I like to buy books, and to give books as gifts - it gives me a great deal of pleasure to be the person who "turns on" another reader to an author or series of books. 

Finally, I like reading books with my children. We recently finished the "How to Train Your Dragon" series of nine books by Cressida Cowell, and I am going to start either the Hunger Games trilogy or wade through a few Goosebumps books with them before the holidays.

1 comment:

Tammy Flanders said...

Hi Michelle.
Seems too good an opportunity to miss to not recommend something for you, maybe the kids?
I just noticed that Goliath by Scott Westerfeld has hit the shelves in the Doucette. This is the sequel to Leviathan, a steampunk novel about an alternative historical event about the start of WWI and where science is the defining element for society. Did you get into this one?
Are your kids into graphic novels? I've got to say one of my favorites right now is the Amulet series. High production value and good storytelling.
Thanks for the notables list. I'll check that out, too.
Tammy